Mission, Vision, Values
BARKA serves as a catalyst for sustainable development in Burkina Faso through:
- WASH initiatives (Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene)
- Women’s empowerment
- Climate mitigation strategies.
BARKA also serves as a bridge between individuals, schools and communities of Burkina Faso and the United States to facilitate greater understanding, cultural exchange and the co-creation of a culture of peace.
For the entire nation of Burkina Faso to have:
- Clean drinking water
- Improved sanitation
- Knowledge of basic hygiene principles
- Empowered women and girls to lead the community
- Skills to mitigate and adapt to climate change
For developed nations and development agencies, our vision is one in which indigenous culture and rights are respected, development is implemented with “free, prior and informed consent”, and isn’t simply about the rich helping the poor, but is about developing a reciprocal relationship of mutual benefit in which our collective gifts are able to be recognized, valued and shared with each other for a sustainable future.
- We start with water because it is the fundamental building block of life; water involves sanitation, healthcare, sustainable agriculture, good governance, and women’s empowerment.
- We practice a holistic, integrated approach to poverty reduction.
- Charity is obsolete- reciprocity, and how we can benefit from each other, is the new development paradigm
- We partner with indigenous villages and are led by their needs
- We are inter-generational, inter-disciplinary, inter-cultural, and interfaith
- We form long term personal, relationships
- We combine high and low-tech, and use both indigenous and modern techniques to find cost-effective, high-impact, culturally appropriate solutions
- Sustainability is the goal in everything we do
- We empower those with whom we work to become self –sustaining
- Local culture and traditional arts are an integral part of our approach
- BARKA serves as an advocate for indigenous people