The BARKA Foundation is a UN-affiliated NGO with the Department of Public Information (UN PDI NGO).
BARKA also has Special Consultative Status with the UN’s Economic and Social Affairs Division (ECOSOC).
We honor and observe several special days in the UN calendar including:
- International Day of Zero Tolerance to Female Genital Mutilation, February 6
- International Women’s Day, March 8
- World Water Day, March 22
- Earth Day, April 22
- International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples, August 9
- International Day of Peace, September 21
- Global Handwashing Day, October 15
- World Toilet Day, November 19
BARKA is currently looking for a volunteer UN representative and a youth representative (18-30).
UN Reps located near UN headquarters in New York City attend weekly NGO Briefings at the United Nations and help to develop BARKA’s solidarity partner network.
UN Reps also help BARKA to develop relations and programs with UN agencies on the ground in Burkina Faso, which can be done from anywhere in the world or in Burkina Faso.
Please contact us if you are interested in getting involved.
Elsa Stamatopoulou, Chief, Secretariat of the United Nations Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues